Dr. Oz Rejects Trump Claim That MMR Vaccine Can Be Lethal
On Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, Dr. Mehmet Oz told Face the Nation that the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine "is not a lethal vaccine." CBS News
Oz made the remark while pushing back on recent comments from President Trump about the combined MMR shot and an administration directive that would separate the doses.[1] He said the administration wants Americans to get vaccinated as doctors recommend while also seeking to expand parental autonomy and state-level exemptions.[1]
Earlier in August 2026, President Trump signed an executive order suggesting the MMR be administered as three separate shots and claiming the combined vaccine could be "lethal." CBS News CDC data released the prior week show 92.4% of U.S. kindergarteners were vaccinated against measles in 2025-2026, down from 95.2% in 2019-2020 and below the 95% level experts say is needed for herd immunity.
Show source details & analysis (1 source)
📌 Key Facts
- On Sunday, August 23, 2026, Dr. Mehmet Oz said on 'Face the Nation' that the MMR vaccine is 'not a lethal vaccine.'
- Earlier in August 2026, President Trump signed an executive order suggesting MMR be administered as three separate shots and claimed the combined vaccine could be 'lethal.'
- Oz said the administration wants Americans to get vaccinated as doctors recommend while seeking to expand parental autonomy and exemptions at the state level.
- CDC data released the prior week show 92.4% of U.S. kindergarteners were vaccinated against measles in 2025-2026, down from 95.2% in 2019-2020 and below the 95% herd immunity threshold.
📰 Source Timeline (1)
Follow how coverage of this story developed over time