A summary of mainstream reporting, plus the facts and perspectives it leaves out. A more honest account of each story.
Back to all stories

Texas Appeals Court Cuts Alex Jones Sandy Hook Verdict To $1.5 Million

On Friday, August 21, 2026, the Texas Third Court of Appeals unanimously reduced a $50 million judgment against Alex Jones to $1.5 million.[1]

The court said plaintiffs Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis had not shown harassment severe enough to overcome Texas' $750,000-per-plaintiff damages cap.[1] Jones called the ruling "a gigantic victory for the First Amendment" on his streaming show and said he will seek further review from the Texas Supreme Court.[1]

Heslin and Lewis sued in 2018 after Jones repeatedly called the Sandy Hook school shooting a hoax and said they were "crisis actors." MS NOW At trial Heslin testified that Jones' false claims fueled ongoing harassment, saying his home and car were shot at before jurors awarded $50 million.[2]

The Texas decision does not affect a separate $1.4 billion Connecticut judgment that the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review in October 2025; that award remains unpaid as Jones pursues appeals and bankruptcy relief.[2] Jones surrendered the Infowars brand in April 2026 and moved his broadcasts to new websites and his personal X account, while satirical outlet The Onion launched a parody "Infowars" page earlier this year.[1]

  1. PBS
  2. MS NOW
Courts and Legal Media and Defamation Courts and Legal Accountability Defamation and Disinformation Courts and Judiciary
Show source details & analysis (3 sources)

📌 Key Facts

  • On Friday, August 21, 2026, the Texas Third Court of Appeals issued a unanimous opinion reducing the $50 million judgment against Alex Jones to $1.5 million after finding Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis had not shown harassment severe enough to pierce Texas's $750,000‑per‑plaintiff damages cap.
  • The reduced award stems from a 2018 lawsuit filed by Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis over Jones's repeated claims that the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax and that they were 'crisis actors.'
  • At trial, Heslin testified that Jones's false claims fueled ongoing harassment — including that his home and car were shot at — before a jury awarded $50 million.
  • The Texas ruling does not affect the separate $1.4 billion Connecticut judgment against Jones, which remained unpaid after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review it in October 2025.
  • Alex Jones reacted on his streaming show on August 21, 2026, calling the ruling "a gigantic victory for the First Amendment" and saying he will seek further review from the Texas Supreme Court.
  • Jones has not paid any of the awards while his appeals and bankruptcy cases proceed.
  • Jones surrendered the Infowars brand in April 2026, moved his broadcasts to new websites and his personal X account, and satirical outlet The Onion launched a parody 'Infowars' page earlier in 2026.

📰 Source Timeline (3)

Follow how coverage of this story developed over time

August 21, 2026
6:17 PM
Texas court cuts $50 million judgment against Alex Jones to $1.5 million in Sandy Hook lawsuit
MS NOW by Clarissa-Jan Lim
New information:
  • Confirms that on Friday, August 21, 2026, the Texas 3rd Court of Appeals unanimously reduced Alex Jones's $50 million Sandy Hook defamation judgment to $1.5 million.
  • Details that the court found Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis had not shown harassment-related harm sufficient to exceed Texas's $750,000-per-defendant statutory damages cap.
  • Clarifies that the reduced award stems from a 2018 lawsuit Heslin and Lewis filed over Jones's repeated claims that the Sandy Hook shooting was a hoax and that they were 'crisis actors.'
  • Notes that Heslin testified at trial that Jones's false claims fueled ongoing harassment and that his home and car were shot at before the jury awarded $50 million in damages.
  • Reiterates that Jones still owes about $1.4 billion from a separate Connecticut judgment, which the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review in October 2025, and that those combined liabilities led him to file for bankruptcy.
  • Adds that Infowars was taken over earlier in 2026 by satirical outlet The Onion after Jones's financial and legal setbacks.
5:14 PM
Court slashes $50M judgment against Alex Jones over falsely calling Sandy Hook shooting a hoax
PBS News by Jim Vertuno, Associated Press
New information:
  • On Friday, August 21, 2026, the Texas Third Court of Appeals issued a unanimous opinion reducing the $50 million judgment against Alex Jones to $1.5 million after finding Neil Heslin and Scarlett Lewis had not shown harassment severe enough to pierce Texas' $750,000-per-plaintiff damages cap.
  • The article reiterates that the Texas decision does not affect the separate $1.4 billion judgment against Jones in Connecticut and that he has not paid any of the awards while he appeals and his bankruptcy cases proceed.
  • Jones reacted on his streaming show on August 21, 2026, calling the ruling 'a gigantic victory for the First Amendment' and saying he will seek further review from the Texas Supreme Court.
  • PBS notes that Jones surrendered the Infowars brand in April 2026, moved his broadcasts to new websites and his personal X account, and that The Onion has launched a parody 'Infowars' page under its own site.