DHS Admits Nevada Noncitizen Voter List Unverified, Only 185 Flagged
Department of Homeland Security officials told Nevada election authorities during a phone call the week before August 20, 2026, that their noncitizen-voter list was unverified and only 185 names had been flagged.[1]
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officials said the 15,903 figure for Nevada came from an automated match of public voter files to federal immigration records.[1] USCIS said more than 14,000 of those automated matches had not been manually reviewed as of August 20, 2026.[1] Nevada released emails and a video of the call on August 20 showing state officials repeatedly asking DHS for names and addresses so they could verify the claims before taking action.[1]
Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin had publicly asserted that 15,903 noncitizens were unlawfully registered in Nevada and threatened to prosecute election officials if they did not provide sensitive voter data.[1] Nevada Secretary of State Francisco Aguilar said DHS told his office those numbers were preliminary and lacked sufficient confidence to share the full dataset, and he vowed not to risk disenfranchising eligible voters.[1]
The newly released call recording and emails shift the debate from a broad allegation of mass noncitizen registration to a narrower technical mismatch that remains largely unreviewed, complicating efforts to demand voter rolls and raising new questions about the accuracy of the original tally.[1]
Show source details & analysis (1 source)
📌 Key Facts
- On a call with Nevada officials in the week before August 20, 2026, DHS and USCIS fraud-division staff said they had so far identified only 185 potential noncitizens on Nevada's voter rolls.
- USCIS officials said their original 15,903 figure for Nevada came from an automated match of public voter files to federal immigration records and that more than 14,000 names remain unreviewed manually as of August 20, 2026.
- Nevada released emails and a video of the call on August 20, 2026, showing state officials repeatedly asking DHS for names and addresses so they can verify the claims before taking any action.
- Nevada Secretary of State Francisco Aguilar said DHS told his office the numbers used in President Trump's national address were preliminary and lacked sufficient confidence to share the full dataset, and he vowed not to risk disenfranchising eligible voters.
- Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin had previously asserted that 15,903 noncitizens were unlawfully registered in Nevada and threatened to prosecute election officials if they did not provide sensitive voter data.
📰 Source Timeline (1)
Follow how coverage of this story developed over time