A summary of mainstream reporting, plus the facts and perspectives it leaves out. A more honest account of each story.
Back to all stories
130319-N-ZQ631-250 U.S. 5TH FLEET AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY (Mar. 19, 2013) Guided-missile destroyer USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110), coastal patrol ship USS Whirlwind (PC 11), U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Baranof (WPB 1318) and the Royal Bahrain Naval Forces frigate Sabah (FFG 90) transit the Arabian Gul
Photo: Carla Ocampo via Naval Surface Warriors | CC BY-SA 2.0 | Wikimedia Commons

UAE Suspends All Trade With Iran After New Alleged Missile Fire

The United Arab Emirates suspended all trade and financial transactions with Iran on Wednesday after authorities said Iran fired missiles toward the country.[1] UAE authorities said two Iranian ballistic missiles were detected on Tuesday night, August 18, and splashed down in the Persian Gulf; they assessed the strikes targeted maritime traffic.[2]

Iran's foreign ministry denied launching missiles, with spokesman Esmail Baghaei disputing the Emirati account.[2] The UAE Foreign Ministry said the suspension was "until further notice" and said the country remained committed to dialogue and regional integration.[2]

The war began February 28, 2026, after U.S. and Israeli strikes.[2] Since then, UAE officials say nearly 20 ADNOC vessels have been attacked by Iranian missiles and drones in the Strait of Hormuz, killing one person and wounding about 20.[2] They also said four tankers were hit in the previous two weeks.[2] MarineTraffic data showed only 10 vessels transited the Strait on Tuesday, August 18, far below prewar levels.[2] Analysts say Iran's ability to disrupt the Strait of Hormuz has become its main strategic leverage in the conflict.[2] President Donald Trump said the Strait was "open and operating" and posted a map depicting it as U.S. territory, drawing a rebuke from Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi.[2]

  1. New York Times
  2. MS NOW
Iran Conflict and Sanctions Middle East Security Global Trade and Energy U.S.-Iran Conflict Middle East Trade and Sanctions
Show source details & analysis (2 sources)

📌 Key Facts

  • On Tuesday night, August 18, 2026, nationwide missile warnings sounded across the United Arab Emirates after incoming ballistic missile fire was detected for the first time in weeks.
  • UAE authorities said two Iranian ballistic missiles were fired toward the country and splashed down in the Persian Gulf, and the Emirati Defense Ministry assessed they targeted maritime traffic.
  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the UAE Foreign Ministry announced it was suspending all trade and financial transactions with Iran "until further notice" while saying it remained committed to dialogue and regional integration.
  • The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei publicly denied that Iran had launched any missiles toward the UAE.
  • UAE officials said that since the start of the war (which began February 28, 2026) nearly 20 ADNOC vessels have been attacked by Iranian missiles and drones in the Strait of Hormuz, killing one person and wounding about 20, with four tankers hit in the previous two weeks.
  • MarineTraffic data cited in the article show only 10 vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, August 18, 2026—less than one-tenth of normal prewar traffic.
  • The article underscores that Iran’s ability to disrupt traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has become its primary strategic leverage in the war that began February 28, 2026 after U.S. and Israeli strikes.
  • U.S. President Donald Trump asserted on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that the Strait of Hormuz was "open and operating" and posted a map depicting it as U.S. territory, drawing a rebuttal from Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi who called him "deluded."

📰 Source Timeline (2)

Follow how coverage of this story developed over time

August 19, 2026
6:37 PM
United Arab Emirates suspends trade with Iran after coming under renewed missile fire
MS NOW by The Associated Press
New information:
  • On Tuesday night, August 18, 2026, nationwide missile warnings sounded across the UAE after incoming ballistic missile fire was detected for the first time in weeks.
  • UAE authorities said two Iranian ballistic missiles were fired toward the country and splashed down in the Persian Gulf, and the Emirati Defense Ministry assessed that they targeted maritime traffic.
  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the UAE Foreign Ministry announced it was suspending all trade and financial transactions with Iran "until further notice" in response to the alleged launches, while saying it remained committed to dialogue and regional integration.
  • Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei publicly denied that Iran had launched any missiles toward the UAE.
  • UAE officials said that since the start of the war nearly 20 ADNOC vessels have been attacked by Iranian missiles and drones in the Strait of Hormuz, killing one person and wounding about 20, including four tankers hit in the previous two weeks.
  • MarineTraffic data cited in the article show only 10 vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, less than one-tenth of normal prewar traffic.
  • The article underscores that Iran’s ability to disrupt traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has become its primary strategic leverage in the war, which began February 28, 2026, with U.S. and Israeli strikes.
  • U.S. President Donald Trump asserted on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that the Strait of Hormuz was "open and operating" and posted a map depicting it as U.S. territory, drawing a rebuttal from Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi, who called him "deluded."
11:24 AM
U.A.E. Halts Trade Ties With Iran and Says It Was Targeted With Missiles
Nytimes by Vivian Nereim and Ismaeel Naar