A summary of mainstream reporting, plus the facts and perspectives it leaves out. A more honest account of each story.
Back to all stories

Israel Opens First Criminal Probes Into Hind Rajab And Gaza Medics Killings

On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, Israel's military said it had opened formal criminal investigations into the killing of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and the deaths of 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza.[1]

The military said it completed reviews of 150 Gaza incidents, singled out five cases for special attention and referred only the Rajab case and the paramedics shootings for criminal inquiry.[2] The army also acknowledged for the first time that troops fired on the family car carrying Hind Rajab and later fired toward a Palestine Red Crescent ambulance that had been granted safe passage, killing two medics.[3]

In February 2024, Hind and five relatives were shot in Gaza City; her body and those of the two paramedics sent to rescue her were recovered 12 days after the attack.[3] Video and witness accounts from 2025 show emergency vehicles approaching a struck ambulance before coming under sustained Israeli gunfire, after which troops used bulldozers to crush vehicles and cover bodies.[3]

The military's statement marks a sharp shift from earlier accounts that said no Israeli forces were in the Rajab area, a change that alters the public record and raises criminal-accountability questions.[3] Earlier coverage had largely accepted military denials; the IDF's updated framing as criminal probes was highlighted by recent reporting and official briefings.[4]

Families and rights groups rejected the internal probes as insufficient and demanded international investigations, with U.N. experts saying the Rajab killing may amount to a war crime.[2] The military also declined criminal inquiries into three other strikes that killed World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders workers, a decision World Central Kitchen founder José Andrés publicly condemned.[4]

  1. New York Times
  2. PBS News
  3. CBS News
  4. NPR
Israel-Gaza War Accountability International Humanitarian Law Israel–Gaza War Conduct Israel–Hamas War Military Conduct and War Crimes
Show source details & analysis (7 sources)

📌 Key Facts

  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the Israeli military said it completed reviews of 150 Gaza incidents and opened formal criminal investigations into only two cases: the killing of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and the killings of 15 Palestinian paramedics, while singling out five cases overall for special attention (150 Gaza incidents).
  • For the first time the military publicly acknowledged its troops fired on the vehicle carrying 5-year-old Hind Rajab in 2024 and later fired toward a Palestine Red Crescent ambulance that had been granted safe passage, killing two paramedics; the IDF said the Rajab probe was opened “following review of the findings and due to alleged failures in the coordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance” (Palestine Red Crescent ambulance).
  • Reporting reconstructs the Rajab episode in detail, including emergency calls between family members and dispatchers, and states that Hind Rajab, five relatives and the two medics were recovered 12 days after the attack (Hind Rajab).
  • Video and witness accounts from 2025 incidents — including a March Tel al-Sultan clip — show Palestine Red Crescent and Gaza Civil Defense vehicles with lights approaching a struck ambulance, medics coming under sustained Israeli gunfire for minutes, and troops later using bulldozers to crush vehicles and cover bodies, actions the military said included people it identified as Hamas operatives (Tel al-Sultan).
  • The military declined to open criminal probes into three other high-profile strikes that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders, concluding commanders’ actions did not meet the threshold for criminal misconduct; World Central Kitchen founder José Andrés publicly condemned the decision (World Central Kitchen).
  • The announcement did not address several previously flagged inquiries, notably an August 2025 southern Gaza hospital strike that killed five journalists, among them AP visual journalist Mariam Dagga (Mariam Dagga).
  • Local family members and rights groups rejected the internal probes as insufficient: Hind Rajab’s grandmother demanded an international investigation, U.N. Human Rights Council experts have said the killing may amount to a war crime, and rights groups have filed complaints and ICC requests seeking accountability (Hind Rajab’s grandmother).

📰 Source Timeline (7)

Follow how coverage of this story developed over time

August 20, 2026
5:50 AM
Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of 5-year-old and paramedics
NPR by The Associated Press
New information:
  • NPR reports that on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the Israeli military said it completed reviews of 150 incidents in Gaza and formally decided to open criminal investigations into the killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 Palestinian paramedics, while declining to open probes into three other attacks that killed World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders workers.
  • The article notes this is the first time the military explicitly framed these two cases as criminal investigations in a public statement, and it emphasizes that Wednesday’s statement made clear that only five reviewed cases were singled out, with just two referred for criminal inquiry.
  • NPR highlights that Chef José Andrés, founder of U.S.-based World Central Kitchen, publicly condemned Israel's decision not to investigate the WCK strike, calling it 'wrong and painful' in a post on X.
  • The piece adds that the new statement did not mention some previously flagged high-profile incidents, including an August 2025 southern Gaza hospital strike that killed five journalists, among them AP visual journalist Mariam Dagga.
  • NPR reiterates the military's admission that troops fired at both the car carrying Hind Rajab and her relatives during the February 2024 Gaza City incident, and at the ambulance sent to rescue her, killing two Palestinian Red Crescent medics.
  • The article records fresh reactions to the announcement: Hind Rajab’s grandmother saying the Israeli probe is insufficient and demanding an international investigation, and Dyab Abou Jahjah of the Belgium-based Hind Rajab foundation calling the internal investigations a 'charade meant to whitewash the culprits instead of convicting them.'
August 19, 2026
10:14 PM
Israel's deadly Gaza strikes cast doubt on ceasefire progress days after Kushner visit
PBS News by Wafaa Shurafa, Associated Press
New information:
  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the Israeli military said it had completed reviews of 150 Gaza incidents and would open criminal investigations into the 2024 killing of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and her family and the 2025 shootings that killed 15 Palestinian paramedics, reiterating and situating this decision alongside ongoing strikes.
  • The same announcement about 150 incident reviews is now contextualized amid fresh lethal airstrikes and a cross-line raid in Gaza on August 18–19, 2026.
  • Gaza health authorities now say that since the October 2025 ceasefire, Israeli strikes have killed at least 1,273 people in the territory, and that the nearly three-year war has killed more than 73,400 Palestinians in total.
6:37 PM
Israeli military probes killings of 5-year-old, her family and Palestinian medics in Gaza
MS NOW by The Associated Press
New information:
  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the Israeli military said it completed reviews of 150 Gaza incidents and decided on five specific cases, opening criminal investigations only into the killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and her family and of 15 Palestinian paramedics.
  • The military said it would not open criminal investigations into three other incidents involving strikes that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.
  • The statement did not address other previously promised probes, including Israeli strikes on a hospital in southern Gaza in August 2025 that killed five journalists, among them AP visual journalist Mariam Dagga.
  • The article recounts new detail on the Hind Rajab incident: the army admitted firing on the family car and on the Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance dispatched after a distress call, with Rajab, five relatives and two medics later found dead after 12 days.
  • For the Rafah case, the article specifies that Israeli troops fired first on one ambulance going to retrieve casualties from an Israeli offensive, then on additional emergency vehicles searching for the missing ambulance, and that troops bulldozed over the bodies and vehicles, burying them in a mass grave later uncovered by U.N. and rescue workers a week afterward.
  • The piece notes that independent experts from the U.N. Human Rights Council have said the killing of Hind Rajab may constitute a war crime, and that rights groups have filed complaints and requests to indict specific soldiers at the International Criminal Court.
  • Hind Rajab's grandmother, also named Hind Rajab, is quoted saying the Israeli investigation is insufficient and explicitly calling for an international investigation into her granddaughter's killing and the broader killing of hundreds of children in Gaza.
6:21 PM
Israel opens criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Gaza rescue workers
CBS News
New information:
  • CBS News video segment published at 1:21 p.m. Central on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, reiterates that the Israeli military has ordered a criminal investigation into its forces' killing of 5-year-old Hind Rajab.
  • The segment headline explicitly pairs the Hind Rajab case with criminal probes into the killings of Gaza rescue workers, reinforcing that both sets of incidents are now under formal criminal investigation by the Israeli military.
  • The CBS clip identifies correspondent Ramy Inocencio as providing additional reporting from the field on the decision to open the probes, confirming that this is being treated as a major development by a U.S. network news division.
4:55 PM
Israeli military launches criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian paramedics
PBS News by Samy Magdy, Associated Press
New information:
  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the Israeli military said it completed reviews of 150 Gaza incidents and decided to open criminal investigations in only two: the killings of 5-year-old Hind Rajab and her family in February 2024, and the May 2025 shootings of 15 Palestinian paramedics in Rafah.
  • The military acknowledged for the first time that its troops fired on the family car carrying Hind Rajab and later fired toward the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance sent to rescue her, killing the two paramedics, and it placed these actions under criminal investigation.
  • In the Rafah case, the military confirmed Israeli troops opened fire on ambulances carrying 15 paramedics and said a deputy commander had been directed to step down, while bulldozers were used afterward to bury vehicles and bodies in a mass grave.
  • The military said it will not open criminal probes into the April 2024 airstrikes that killed seven World Central Kitchen aid workers, concluding that commanders mistakenly believed people in the convoy were Hamas operatives and that their decisions did not raise a reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct.
  • The IDF also declined criminal investigations into two separate incidents in November 2023 and February 2024 that killed four staff members of Doctors Without Borders, after previously barring the organization from operating in Gaza.
  • The article notes that the IDF statement did not address a range of other previously promised inquiries, including Israeli strikes on a southern Gaza hospital in August 2025 that killed five journalists, among them AP freelancer Mariam Dagga.
  • The piece reports local and international reaction, including Rajab's grandmother calling the Israeli probe insufficient and demanding an international investigation, and a Palestinian Red Crescent spokesperson saying the killings were already "proven to the whole world."
4:11 PM
Israel orders criminal probe into killing of 5-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza
CBS News
New information:
  • On Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the IDF for the first time explicitly acknowledged that its troops opened fire on the vehicle carrying 5-year-old Hind Rajab and her family in Gaza City in January 2024, after previously claiming no forces were in the area.
  • The IDF statement says the Rajab criminal investigation was launched "following review of the findings and due to alleged failures in the coordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance," and confirms the ambulance had been granted safe passage before forces at the scene opened fire, killing the two paramedics dispatched to rescue her.
  • The article recounts new, detailed narrative elements of the January 2024 incident, including the sequence of emergency calls between Hind, her cousin Layan and Palestine Red Crescent dispatchers, and that Hind's body and those of the two paramedics were recovered 12 days after the attack.
  • For the March 2025 Tel al-Sultan incident, the piece describes cellphone video showing Palestine Red Crescent and Gaza Civil Defense vehicles driving slowly with emergency lights and logos visible, medics exiting to approach a previously hit ambulance, and then coming under more than five minutes of sustained Israeli gunfire, after which Israeli troops used a bulldozer to crush vehicles and cover bodies with metal mesh, creating a makeshift mass grave.
  • The IDF’s updated account now asserts that Hamas operatives were among those killed in the March 2025 Tel al-Sultan shooting and that troops decided to crush the vehicles and cover the bodies, while acknowledging that its initial justification—that the vehicles advanced "suspiciously" without lights or signals—was contradicted by later video evidence.