Gas Explosion At Chinese Coal Mine Kills At Least 82 Workers
A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi, Shanxi province, on the evening of Friday, May 22, 2026, killed at least 82 workers, local officials said.[1]
More than 120 people were hospitalized and two remained missing after the blast, officials said.[1] Authorities had earlier reported 90 deaths before revising the figure downward to 82 on Saturday.[1]
The mine's operator was flagged in 2024 as disaster-prone because of high gas content, officials said.[1] Investigators said there were serious legal violations and that mismatched blueprints hampered rescue operations at the site.[1] China's State Council has launched an investigation team.[1] Those responsible at the company have been placed under control as rescue and recovery continue.[1]
Show source details & analysis (1 source)
📌 Key Facts
- A gas explosion struck the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi, Shanxi province, on the evening of Friday, May 22, 2026.
- Local officials on Saturday reported at least 82 dead, more than 120 hospitalized, and two people still missing, revising an earlier 90-death figure.
- The mine’s operator was previously flagged in 2024 as disaster-prone for high gas content, and investigators say there were serious legal violations and mismatched blueprints that hampered rescues.
- China’s State Council has launched an investigation team and those responsible at the company have been placed under control while rescue and recovery continue.
📰 Source Timeline (1)
Follow how coverage of this story developed over time