A summary of mainstream reporting, plus the facts and perspectives it leaves out. A more honest account of each story.
Back to all stories
Estes Kefauver Federal Bldg., Broadway, Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee
Photo: Michael Rivera | CC BY-SA 4.0 | Wikimedia Commons

Federal Judge Dismisses Kilmar Abrego Garcia Human-Smuggling Case As Vindictive Prosecution

U.S. District Judge Waverly D. Crenshaw Jr. dismissed the indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia on Friday, May 22, 2026, finding the prosecution vindictive and granting the defense's motion to dismiss.[1]

Crenshaw wrote that prosecutors' timing and charging decisions would deter a similarly situated defendant from exercising their rights and that, without Abrego Garcia's successful lawsuit challenging his removal, the government would not have brought the case.[1] The Justice Department said it will appeal, calling the ruling "wrong and dangerous" and accusing the judge of placing politics above public safety.[2] The Department of Homeland Security condemned the decision as "naked judicial activism" and said Abrego Garcia's final removal order remains in force.[3]

Homeland Security had closed a Tennessee traffic-stop investigation from November 2022 and then reopened it days after the U.S. Supreme Court ordered Abrego Garcia returned to the United States in 2025.[2] Federal investigators, relying on a cooperating witness, alleged Abrego Garcia conspired to smuggle roughly 600 people into the U.S. annually between 2016 and 2025.[2] Crenshaw also faulted senior Justice Department oversight and said then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche's actions "taint[ed] the investigation" and were the source of the vindictiveness.[3]

Early reports centered on the dismissal itself, but later accounts from outlets including the New York Times, NPR and PBS added reporting that highlighted Crenshaw's finding of retaliatory motives and disclosed internal DOJ deliberations around the renewed prosecution.[1] Abrego Garcia and his lawyers hailed the ruling, saying he is grateful, while the pending appeal means higher courts could soon weigh how prosecutors pursue immigration-related charges after defendants challenge removal orders.

  1. New York Times
  2. Fox News
  3. NPR
Courts and Legal System Immigration & Demographic Change Courts & Law Courts and Judiciary Courts & Legal System
Show source details & analysis (6 sources)

📌 Key Facts

📰 Source Timeline (6)

Follow how coverage of this story developed over time

May 22, 2026
10:10 PM
DOJ vows to appeal after judge dismisses smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia as 'vindictive'
Fox News
New information:
  • On Friday, May 22, 2026, U.S. District Judge Waverly D. Crenshaw Jr. dismissed a two-count indictment in Tennessee against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, finding the case amounted to 'vindictive and selective prosecution' under the Fifth Amendment.
  • The Department of Justice issued an on-the-record statement calling Crenshaw 'another activist judge' who 'placed politics above public safety,' labeling the order 'wrong and dangerous' and vowing to appeal.
  • Crenshaw's 32-page opinion concluded that, 'absent Abrego's successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the Government would not have brought this prosecution,' and treated DHS's rapid reopening of a previously closed 2022 traffic-stop investigation as retaliatory.
  • The article specifies that federal investigators alleged, based on a cooperating witness, that Abrego Garcia conspired to smuggle roughly 600 people into the U.S. annually between 2016 and 2025.
  • The story recounts that after the Supreme Court unanimously ordered the government to facilitate Abrego Garcia's return to the U.S. in 2025, DHS reopened the Tennessee traffic-stop case days later, and senior DOJ leadership under Attorney General Pam Bondi and Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche then pushed for an indictment.
  • Sen. Chris Van Hollen, who met Abrego Garcia at El Salvador's CECOT megaprison in April 2025, publicly praised the May 22, 2026 ruling as a 'vindictive prosecution' rebuke and 'a win for the Constitutional rights' of the defendant.
9:18 PM
Federal judge dismisses human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
PBS News by Travis Loller, Associated Press
New information:
  • On Friday, May 22, 2026, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw granted Kilmar Abrego Garcia's motion to dismiss the human-smuggling indictment, finding the prosecution was presumptively vindictive and an 'abuse of prosecuting power.'
  • Crenshaw ruled that, without Abrego Garcia's successful lawsuit challenging his mistaken deportation to El Salvador, 'the government would not have brought this prosecution.'
  • The judge explicitly found enough evidence of 'presumptive vindictiveness'—based on the timing of the indictment, statements by then–Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche, and sustained oversight by senior DOJ officials—to taint the case, though he stopped short of a finding of actual vindictiveness.
  • The opinion notes Homeland Security had known about the November 2022 Tennessee traffic stop for two years and closed the case, only reopening it after the U.S. Supreme Court ordered Abrego Garcia returned to the United States.
  • The Justice Department said it will appeal and called Crenshaw's order 'wrong and dangerous.'
  • Abrego Garcia's defense attorneys issued a statement after the ruling calling him 'a victim of a politicized, vindictive White House and its lawyers at what used to be an independent Justice Department' and saying they are pleased he is now free.
9:13 PM
Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
NPR by Sergio Martínez-Beltrán
New information:
  • NPR confirms that on Friday, May 22, 2026, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw in Tennessee dismissed the human-smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, explicitly finding vindictive prosecution.
  • The article quotes Crenshaw stating that the actions of then–Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche "taints the investigation with a vindictive motive" and that reopening the previously closed Homeland Security Investigations case was "the source of the vindictiveness."
  • Crenshaw wrote that the government would not have prosecuted Abrego Garcia if he had not successfully sued to challenge his prior deportation to El Salvador, calling the situation "an abuse of prosecuting power."
  • The Department of Homeland Security issued a formal statement calling the decision "naked judicial activism" and asserted that Abrego Garcia's final order of removal remains in force, saying "this Salvadorian is not going to remain in our country."
  • Abrego Garcia released a statement saying he is grateful and that "justice has taken a step forward."
7:40 PM
Judge Dismisses Criminal Case Against Abrego Garcia
Nytimes by Alan Feuer
New information:
  • Article confirms U.S. District Judge Waverly D. Crenshaw Jr. formally dismissed the indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia on Friday, May 22, 2026, reiterating his finding of vindictive prosecution.
  • New York Times reporting adds detail on Crenshaw's legal reasoning, including his conclusion that prosecutors' timing and charging decisions would deter a similarly situated defendant from exercising their rights.
  • The article further describes internal DOJ deliberations and correspondence around the decision to pursue new smuggling charges after Abrego Garcia successfully challenged his wrongful deportation, providing a fuller picture of how the case was built.
  • It notes that senior DOJ officials in Washington were briefed on the case and that the U.S. Attorney's Office maintained the charges were appropriate even as the judge raised concerns.
  • The piece highlights reactions from legal experts who say the ruling is a rare but significant rebuke that could influence how prosecutors handle cases involving immigrants who contest removal orders.
7:38 PM
Judge dismisses Kilmar Abrego Garcia’s criminal indictment as vindictive by Trump DOJ
MS NOW by Jordan Rubin
New information:
  • On Friday, May 22, 2026, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw granted Kilmar Abrego Garcia's motion to dismiss his indictment in Tennessee, explicitly finding that the Trump administration only brought the case because Abrego successfully challenged his prior removal to El Salvador.
  • Crenshaw's opinion states that "the objective evidence" shows that, absent Abrego's successful lawsuit challenging his removal, "the Government would not have brought this prosecution," and notes that the Executive Branch had closed its investigation into the November 2022 traffic stop before reopening it after his legal victory.
  • The ruling describes the investigation overseen by Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche as "tainted," sharpening the court's criticism of the Trump DOJ's handling of the case.
  • The article reiterates that the criminal charges involved allegations that Abrego illegally transported undocumented immigrants, stemming from a 2022 traffic stop that the judge again calls "atypical" in terms of the yearslong delay before filing charges in 2025.
7:17 PM
Judge tosses federal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
https://www.facebook.com/CBSNews/