U.S. Threatens To Revoke Visas If Palestinian UN Envoy Pursues VP Role
On May 19, 2026, the U.S. State Department sent a cable warning it would revoke visas for Palestinian diplomats unless Ambassador Riyad Mansour withdraws from a contest for a U.N. General Assembly vice presidency.[1]
The cable instructs U.S. diplomats in Jerusalem to press Palestinian officials this week and said Mansour's past public accusations that Israel committed genocide "fuel tension." NPR It also references a September 2025 U.S. decision to waive visa sanctions for the Palestinian U.N. mission and warns it would be "unfortunate" to revisit available sanctions options now.[1]
In September 2025, Washington chose to waive visa sanctions that had been threatened against the Palestinian U.N. mission.[1] The May 19 cable frames Mansour's candidacy as a new trigger that could prompt the United States to revisit those measures.[1]
Former U.S. official Hady Amr said using visa restrictions in this way is extremely rare and generally "counterproductive" because it undercuts diplomatic problem-solving.[1]
Show source details & analysis (1 source)
📌 Key Facts
- On May 19, 2026, the State Department issued a cable threatening visa revocation for Palestinian UN diplomats if Ambassador Riyad Mansour does not withdraw from a UN General Assembly vice president race.
- The cable instructs U.S. diplomats in Jerusalem to pressure Palestinian officials this week and cites Mansour's past accusations that Israel committed genocide as a reason his bid "fuels tension."
- The document references a September 2025 U.S. decision to waive visa sanctions for the Palestinian UN mission and warns it would be "unfortunate" to revisit available sanctions options now.
- Former U.S. official Hady Amr told NPR such use of visa restrictions is extremely rare and generally "counterproductive" because it undercuts diplomatic problem-solving.
📰 Source Timeline (1)
Follow how coverage of this story developed over time