Judge To Hear Motions On Sealing Evidence In Charlie Kirk Murder Case
Judge Tony Graf Jr. will hear oral arguments on two defense motions in Tyler Robinson's case on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, in a hearing over whether portions of evidence should be sealed.[1]
Robinson's lawyers asked Graf to close part of the upcoming preliminary hearing and to seal testimony and exhibits they say could later be excluded at trial.[1] Prosecutors say they plan to present Discord records, text messages, witness statements, shooting videos and a handwritten note at the preliminary hearing.[1] The defense has not specified which items it wants closed, court filings say.[1] The defense also asked the judge to sanction prosecutors over post-filing media interviews about a ballistics dispute.[1] Deputy County Attorney Christopher Ballard wrote that the claim the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives could not tie the autopsy bullet to the alleged murder rifle was misleading.[1] Ballard added the claim had already gone viral before prosecutors said they needed to "set the record straight," the filings say.[1]
Robinson is charged in the assassination of conservative commentator Charlie Kirk, and the preliminary hearing will determine whether the case proceeds to trial.[1] The sealing and sanction motions target what material will be public during early proceedings and whether prosecutors' public statements violated court rules, according to court papers.[1]
Graf's rulings after Tuesday's arguments will shape what evidence is heard publicly at the preliminary hearing and may narrow what is later used at trial.[1]
Show source details & analysis (1 source)
📌 Key Facts
- On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, Judge Tony Graf Jr. is scheduled to hear oral arguments on two defense motions in Tyler Robinson's case.
- Robinson's lawyers seek to close part of the upcoming preliminary hearing and seal testimony and exhibits that might later be excluded at trial.
- Prosecutors plan to present Discord records, text messages, statements, shooting videos and a note, and say the defense has not specified which items it wants closed.
- The defense also seeks sanctions over prosecutors' media interviews responding to a defense claim that ATF could not tie the autopsy bullet to the alleged murder rifle.
- Deputy County Attorney Christopher Ballard said in court filings that the defense ballistics claim was misleading and had already gone viral before prosecutors "set the record straight."
📰 Source Timeline (1)
Follow how coverage of this story developed over time