A summary of mainstream reporting, plus the facts and perspectives it leaves out. A more honest account of each story.
Back to all stories
U.S. Army Pfc. Justice Tuia assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, supporting 4th Infantry Division, poses atop the M1064A3 mortar carrier vehicle on a range at Bemowo Piskie Training Area, June 1
Photo: U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Alex Soliday | Public domain | Wikimedia Commons

Pentagon Cuts Europe Brigade Combat Teams To Three And Halts Planned Poland Rotation

The Pentagon announced Tuesday, May 19, 2026, that it will cut the number of U.S. Brigade Combat Teams stationed in Europe from four to three and halted a planned rotation of an armored brigade to Poland.[1]

Pentagon officials said the move returns U.S. force levels in Europe to roughly their 2021 posture as part of a "comprehensive, multilayered" review intended to press NATO allies to take primary responsibility for conventional defense.[1] U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich told reporters at NATO headquarters in Brussels he does not expect further drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops President Trump already announced.[2] Grynkewich said the 5,000-troop reduction will be executed by canceling deployments, including thousands of soldiers from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division to Poland, and by halting a planned deployment to Germany of units trained to fire long-range rockets and missiles.[2] A U.S. military official said about 1,000 soldiers and roughly 1,700 pieces of equipment from the 2nd Armored Brigade had already arrived in Europe before the Poland deployment was canceled.[2] Pentagon officials said the final disposition of forces will depend in part on allies' contributions, and War Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz to promise close consultation.[1]

Grynkewich met on May 19 with military chiefs from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland to discuss how to array NATO capabilities on the alliance's eastern flank after the deployment changes.[2] Estonian Secretary-General Jonatan Vseviov called the Poland cancellation a "hiccup," and Estonia's defense minister Hanno Pevkur said U.S. forces currently in Estonia "will remain there." PBS News Polish officials said they were seeking answers after the planned armored brigade rotation was scrapped.[3]

Pentagon officials framed the posture review as advancing an "America First" agenda by urging allies to boost conventional defenses, while publicly describing Poland as a "model U.S. ally." Fox News Officials said they will consult with allies as the Pentagon completes its review and finalizes the new force posture in Europe.[4]

  1. Fox News
  2. PBS News
  3. Fox News
  4. Fox News
U.S. Military and Defense NATO and European Security U.S. Military Posture NATO & Europe Security NATO & European Security
Show source details & analysis (3 sources)

📌 Key Facts

  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at NATO headquarters in Brussels, U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich said he does not expect any additional U.S. troop drawdowns from Europe beyond the 5,000 President Trump already announced.
  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, the Brigade Combat Teams stationed in Europe will be reduced from four to three, returning U.S. force levels in Europe to roughly those in 2021, the Pentagon announced.
  • Grynkewich confirmed the 5,000‑troop reduction will be executed by canceling deployments — including thousands of soldiers from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division to Poland — and by halting a planned deployment to Germany of units trained to fire long‑range rockets and missiles.
  • A U.S. military official said about 1,000 soldiers and roughly 1,700 pieces of equipment from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team had already arrived in Europe shortly before their planned deployment to Poland was canceled.
  • Some U.S. troops from the brigade who were scheduled to deploy to Poland were told not to board planes to Europe shortly before departure, according to Grynkewich's comments to reporters.
  • Officials said the recent halt of a planned rotation of roughly 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland is part of the Pentagon's "comprehensive, multilayered" review of U.S. force posture in Europe intended to advance President Trump's "America First" agenda by pushing NATO allies to take primary responsibility for conventional defense.
  • Pentagon officials said the final disposition of U.S. forces in Europe will depend in part on allies' own contributions; the Pentagon publicly described Poland as a "model U.S. ally" and War Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Władysław Kosiniak‑Kamysz on May 19, 2026 to promise close consultation.
  • Grynkewich met on May 19, 2026 with military chiefs from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland to discuss how to array NATO capabilities on the alliance’s eastern flank after the deployment changes; Estonian Secretary‑General Jonatan Vseviov called the Poland cancellation a "hiccup," and Estonia's defense minister Hanno Pevkur said U.S. forces currently in Estonia "will remain there."

📰 Source Timeline (3)

Follow how coverage of this story developed over time

May 20, 2026
1:10 AM
Pentagon cuts Brigade Combat Teams in Europe as Trump pressures NATO on spending
Fox News
New information:
  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, the Pentagon announced it is reducing the number of Brigade Combat Teams stationed in Europe from four to three, returning to roughly 2021 troop levels.
  • The Pentagon said in a formal statement that the decision is part of a "comprehensive, multilayered" review of U.S. force posture in Europe and is intended to advance President Trump's "America First" agenda by pushing NATO allies to take primary responsibility for conventional defense.
  • Officials reiterated that the recent halt of a planned rotation of roughly 4,000 U.S. troops to Poland is part of this posture review and that the final disposition of U.S. forces in Europe will depend in part on allies' own contributions.
  • The Pentagon publicly described Poland as a "model U.S. ally" and said War Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke with Polish Deputy Prime Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz on May 19, 2026, promising close consultation during the review.
May 19, 2026
7:56 PM
NATO's top officer doesn't expect more U.S. drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced
PBS News by Emma Burrows, Associated Press
New information:
  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, at NATO headquarters in Brussels, U.S. Lt. Gen. Alex Grynkewich said he does not expect any additional U.S. troop drawdowns from Europe beyond the 5,000 President Trump already announced.
  • Grynkewich confirmed that the 5,000-troop reduction will be executed by canceling deployments, including thousands of soldiers from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, to Poland and halting a planned deployment to Germany of units trained to fire long-range rockets and missiles, rather than withdrawing already-stationed forces.
  • A U.S. military official said that about 1,000 soldiers and 1,700 pieces of equipment from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team had already arrived in Europe shortly before their deployment to Poland was canceled.
  • Some U.S. troops from the brigade who were scheduled to deploy to Poland were told not to board planes to Europe shortly before departure, according to details Grynkewich discussed with reporters.
  • Estonian Secretary-General Jonatan Vseviov said the cancellation of the Poland deployment is a "hiccup" that affects Baltic deployments because some U.S. troops in Estonia and other Baltic states were to come from that brigade, though he said it will not by itself collapse NATO deterrence.
  • Estonia's defense minister Hanno Pevkur told local media on May 19, 2026, that U.S. forces currently in Estonia "will remain there" and that he has received no indication of any U.S. flag being lowered in Estonia.
  • Grynkewich said he met with military chiefs from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland on May 19 to discuss options for how to array NATO capabilities on the alliance’s eastern flank after the deployment changes.