A summary of mainstream reporting, plus the facts and perspectives it leaves out. A more honest account of each story.
Back to all stories
A 332d Air Expeditionary Wing firefighter preps his uniform during an exercise in an undisclosed location in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility July 14, 2024. Firefighters are a vital part of the emergency response team at any base, with their ability to quickly put out fires, provide T
Photo: U.S. Air Force AFCENT by 2nd Lt. Sydney Sedlak | Public domain | Wikimedia Commons

Soldiers Say Army Denied Extra Medics Before Deadly Kuwait Drone Strike

Survivors of the March 1, 2026 Iranian drone strike at the Port of Shuaiba in Kuwait say the U.S. Army ignored weeks-old requests for additional medics before the attack.[1]

Those survivors told CBS they believe at least one of the six soldiers killed could have been saved if extra medical support had been in place.[2] In the May 19 CBS segment, a surviving soldier publicly labeled the Pentagon and Army response to the Kuwait attack "a failure." CBS News

On March 1, 2026, Iranian drones struck the Port of Shuaiba command post in Kuwait, killing six U.S. soldiers.[3] Survivors say they filed a formal request weeks ahead of the strike asking the Port of Shuaiba command for additional medical assets, and they say that request went unanswered.[4]

Early reports centered on the attack and casualty count, but CBS's May 19 coverage shifted to emphasize survivors' collective demands for accountability and sharper criticism of the Army's handling of medical support.[1] Survivors say they are now speaking out publicly to press for answers about who denied their request and whether different medical staffing could have changed the outcome.[3]

  1. CBS News
  2. CBS News
  3. CBS News
  4. CBS News
U.S. Military & Veterans Iran War Iran Conflict U.S. Military Operations Pentagon & Veterans Affairs
Show source details & analysis (4 sources)

📌 Key Facts

  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, CBS aired video segments in which survivors of the March 1, 2026 Iranian drone strike at the Port of Shuaiba said the Army ignored their weeks‑ahead request for additional medical assets and are now speaking out for accountability.
  • Survivors told CBS they believe at least one of the six soldiers killed on March 1, 2026 could have been saved if their request for more medical support had been granted.
  • In a CBS segment on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, a surviving soldier publicly labeled the Pentagon and Army response to the Kuwait attack 'a failure.'
  • A CBS Evening News segment frames the allegation as a formal request for more medical support made to the Port of Shuaiba command well ahead of the strike, which survivors say went unanswered.
  • The CBS reporting reinforces survivors' claim that the absence of additional medics affected the emergency response to the March 1 strike that killed six U.S. soldiers.

📰 Source Timeline (4)

Follow how coverage of this story developed over time

May 20, 2026
12:33 AM
Troops say Army ignored request for more medical support before fatal Iranian strike
https://www.facebook.com/CBSEveningNews/
New information:
  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, CBS aired an interview segment in which soldiers who survived the March 1, 2026 Iranian drone strike at Port of Shuaiba in Kuwait said the U.S. Army ignored a request for additional medical support weeks before the attack.
  • The CBS piece frames the allegation as a formal request for more medical support made to the Port of Shuaiba command well ahead of the strike, which the survivors say went unanswered.
  • The segment reinforces survivors' claims that the lack of extra medics affected the response to the March 1 strike, which killed six soldiers.
May 19, 2026
2:04 PM
Survivors from Iranian attack in Kuwait say Army ignored medical support request before strike
https://www.facebook.com/CBSNews/
New information:
  • On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, CBS aired a dedicated video segment in which additional survivors of the March 1, 2026 Iranian strike on the Port of Shuaiba command post publicly describe their prior requests for more medical support and say the Army ignored them.
  • The segment emphasizes that survivors are now "speaking out" collectively about both the attack itself and their earlier attempts to secure extra medical assets, framing their criticism as an ongoing push for accountability.
11:49 AM
Soldier who survived Iranian attack in Kuwait slams Pentagon's response: "This was a failure"
https://www.facebook.com/CBSMornings/
New information:
  • In a CBS News video segment published Tuesday, May 19, 2026, a surviving soldier publicly labeled the Pentagon and Army response to the March 1, 2026 Iranian drone attack in Kuwait 'a failure.'
  • Survivors told CBS they believe at least one of the six soldiers killed in the March 1 attack could have been saved if their request for more medical support had been granted.
  • The segment reiterates that soldiers say the Army ignored their weeks‑ahead request for additional medical assets at the Port of Shuaiba command post before the strike.