DOJ Unseals Indictment Of Chinese Container Firms And Executives In $35 Billion Pandemic Price-Fixing Case
The Justice Department on Tuesday, May 19, 2026, unsealed indictments charging four Chinese shipping-container manufacturers and seven executives with a global price-fixing conspiracy tied to the COVID-19 pandemic.[1]
The indictment says the firms coordinated cuts in container production to inflate prices and squeeze global supply as demand and freight rates surged.[2] Acting Antitrust Division chief Omeed Assefi said the scheme affected about $35 billion in global commerce and that defendants "choked" the world's supply of shipping containers.[1] The unsealed filing was obtained in 2025 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California and was opened after the April 2026 arrest in France of Singamas marketing director Vick Nam Hing Ma.[1] Ma is the only defendant currently in custody and is awaiting extradition to the United States.[1]
U.S. outlets earlier reported investigators were probing Chinese companies over cuts to shipping-container production before the pandemic.[3] The Justice Department's indictment, by contrast, alleges coordinated production restraints that drove up prices at the height of the COVID-19 shipping crunch.[1]
Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward said the case is part of a broader series of DOJ criminal probes tied to the COVID-19 pandemic, while stressing the Antitrust Division's work is separate from investigations into the virus's origins.[1]
Show source details & analysis (3 sources)
📌 Key Facts
- On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, the Justice Department publicly announced indictments against four Chinese shipping container manufacturers, a move CBS described as DOJ publicly unveiling charges and converting an investigation into active criminal prosecution (indictments against four Chinese shipping container manufacturers).
- The indictments allege price‑fixing through coordinated cuts in production during the COVID‑19 pandemic when container demand and freight rates were surging (price‑fixing).
- DOJ disclosed the indictment had been secured in 2025 in the Northern District of California and was kept under seal until it was unsealed following the April 2026 arrest in France of defendant Vick Nam Hing Ma (Northern District of California).
- The indictment names seven specific Chinese executives — Singamas CEO Siong Seng Teo; CIMC CEO Boliang Mai; CIMC Vice President Tianhua Huang; CIMC General Manager Yongbo Wan; Dong Fang General Manager Qianmin Li; CXIC CEO Yuqiang Zhang; and Singamas marketing director Vick Nam Hing Ma — in addition to the four container manufacturers (Singamas CEO Siong Seng Teo).
- Acting Antitrust Division chief Omeed Assefi said the alleged conspiracy affected about $35 billion in global commerce and asserted the defendants 'choked' the world’s supply of shipping containers at the height of COVID‑19 ($35 billion in global commerce).
- Vick Nam Hing Ma is currently the only defendant in custody, detained in France as his extradition to the United States is pending (Vick Nam Hing Ma).
- Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward framed the case as part of a broader series of DOJ criminal investigations tied to the COVID‑19 pandemic while clarifying that the Antitrust Division’s work is separate from ongoing COVID‑19 origins probes (Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward).
📰 Source Timeline (3)
Follow how coverage of this story developed over time
- On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, DOJ officials disclosed that the price‑fixing indictment was actually secured in 2025 in the Northern District of California and kept under seal until it was unsealed following the April 2026 arrest in France of defendant Vick Nam Hing Ma.
- The indictment charges seven specific Chinese executives by name in addition to four container manufacturers: Singamas CEO Siong Seng Teo; CIMC CEO Boliang Mai; CIMC Vice President Tianhua Huang; CIMC General Manager Yongbo Wan; Dong Fang General Manager Qianmin Li; CXIC CEO Yuqiang Zhang; and Singamas marketing director Vick Nam Hing Ma.
- Acting Antitrust Division chief Omeed Assefi said the alleged conspiracy affected about $35 billion in global commerce and asserted that defendants "choked" the world’s supply of shipping containers at the height of COVID‑19.
- Ma is currently the only defendant in custody, being detained in France as his extradition to the United States is pending.
- Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward framed the case as part of a broader series of DOJ criminal investigations tied to the COVID‑19 pandemic, while clarifying that the Antitrust Division’s work is separate from ongoing COVID‑19 origins probes.
- On Tuesday, May 19, 2026, the Justice Department announced indictments against four Chinese shipping container manufacturers.
- The indictments center on allegations that the firms cut production to fix prices during the COVID-19 pandemic, when container demand and freight rates were surging.
- CBS identifies this as the moment DOJ is publicly unveiling the charges, moving the matter from investigation into active criminal prosecution.